Platycerium Bifurcatum - Staghorn Fern Care
- These interesting ferns are epiphytes and grow naturally on tree trunks in tropical Australia. As young plants they can be in pots but they need to be mounted as they get bigger.
- They will thrive in bright, indirect sunlight and need to fully dry out in between waterings.
- Your mounted fern will be very happy growing on its mount for a long time. I use spaghnum moss and a little bit of earthworm castings at the base of the fern, they were in pots previously so mounting them is a little different than if you were to mount a pup or propagation from an established fern.
- Throw banana peels at the base of your fern as extra fertilizer.
- Will enjoy some light misting when mounted.
- Happiest in 65-75°F (can tolerate as low as 55°F) and with humidity levels above 60%.